Monday, July 9, 2012

my rather complicated thought process...

So I have a confession guys, I've had a really hard time of thinking of something to blog about.  [Don't act like you've never had blog-block].  This is my fourth draft that I've started, and they are all about completely different things.  [My brain is processing a whole lot of nothing at the moment].  Let's see...I'm thinking about two books and one movie that I recently read/watched that seemed to leap from the pages/screen just to tell me what an idiot I've been, but of course, there are happy endings after all.  I'm thinking about how I go back to college in 4 weeks, how I can't remember half the classes I signed up for, and how I will fit all my stuff in that tiny dorm room again.  Word of advice, NEVER overestimate the size of a dorm room, think of it as a pocket-sized prison cell and then you won't be disappointed [although I don't know why you would have a prison in your pocket, but let's hope you understood the thesaurus.com adaptation of small ;)]. I'm also wondering if I should continue to read a book I just started...the main character's name is Millicent. And all I can imagine is Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty.  [For those of you who are quite certain I am rambling at the moment, I invite you to look up to the title of my blog for a moment and well, it's definitely your fault for not expecting the randomness].  One thing that has been on my mind lately, is the mention of reason and persuasion in the book of Acts.  Often people forget the importance of an intelligent argument.  Christians should be intelligent people who know how to reason with others and make their case known.  Everyone of us should be an apologist at heart.  If Paul used reason and persuasion in the Bible then why shouldn't we Christians follow suit and try it ourselves?  [Christians look dumb..ALOT. And frankly that is just SAD.  We are beings created in the image of God, carrying within us the Truth of the gospel, and we let our unintelligent minds weigh down the knowledge of the Holy Spirit.] Acts 17 says that Paul "reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and devout persons, and in the marketplace every day with those who happened to be there." (vs. 17) Paul also had to know his audience; he reasoned with both the synagogue attending Jews and then just the average person.  "Philosophers also conversed with him." (vs. 18)  Some acknowledged "you bring some strange things to our ears.  We wish therefore to know what these things mean." (vs. 20) And then the author says, "Now all the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there would spend their time in nothing except telling or hearing something new." (vs. 21)  This is also interesting because it shows that reasoning with one another takes time.  Later in Ephesus, Paul "entered the synagogue and for three months spoke boldly, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God." (Acts 19:8)  Paul even used reason and persuasion when standing before King Agrippa, whose own response was, "In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?" (Acts 26:28)  These examples all point to the authority of reason when it comes to sharing the gospel.  Of course, reason needs to be paired with love and humility.  Arrogance can be the demise of an argument.  I know I started out rather random, but it seems that God always directs my heart to His purposes by the end of every blog. Well, I suppose I've given you enough to mull over until I write again.

8 comments:

  1. I love you Michaela! You are the best!!! Your posts are always so GOOD! and funny. and cool. and interesting. and abovealltheabove:) (whatever that means;)) And never dull. I hope to see you soon! I can't believe you go back in FOUR WEEKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Priscilla! and haha, i'm glad you think so :) you are too kind, but i appreciate the compliments :)and i knowwww! i must see y'all a couple more times before i go back!!!

      Delete
  2. Great post Michaela! You made very good points. It was very thoughtfully written and I love your ease with words and randomness! Your personality shows through and it is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am glad I can be random and still get my point across. It encourages me to know that the randomness isn't complete nonsense! :)

      Delete
  3. Michaela,
    This was a great post, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Hannah~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for reading Hannah :) I'm glad you liked it. I always enjoy your blogs :)

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you guys go back to collage in less than 4 weeks :(, I am really going to miss you! And your post was great, I love how you write!
    Love,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I can;t believe it either :( I will miss you too! and you are sweet to say so! I love reading your blog :)
    Love, Michaela

    ReplyDelete